- About JSSCP
- Courses Offered
- Pharmaceutical chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Pharmacy Practice
- Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine
- Biostatistics & Computer Science
- Departmental Profiles
- Contact us
Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine
Department of Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine
The Dept. of Phytopharmacy and Phytomedicine would strive hard to become centre of excellence in herbal/natural products.
The Department of Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine is dedicated to :
- Provide excellence in education, research and public services in the disciplines of herbal drugs and natural products.
- Define the direction and scope of herbal drug therapy through continuous and innovative research.
- Promote pharmaceutical care locally, nationally and internationally by developing safe and efficacious natural medicines.
- Search for local natural resources as remedies for management of endemic diseases.
- Search for new leads for drug development.
- Serve as a consultation center for the Pharmaceutical industry and community at large.
- Integrate the disciplines of Natural product chemistry in the Pharmaceutical industry R&D departments.
- Develop suitable extraction/isolation and QA methods for natural products used as pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements and cosmetics.
Programmes organised (QIP/SDP/Workshop/Seminar)
|Sl. No.||Title of the programme||Sponsoring agency||Date (s)||Outcome|
|1||A National Workshop on Potentials of Medicinal Plants of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve (Western Ghats) (Theme: An ethnomedical approach to herbal drug development)||JSS University & Indian Council of Medical Research||8-10th Dec, 2011||150 participants from across the country benefitted|
|2||Medicinal plants exhibition||The Nilgiris medicinal plants promoters society||18-20th May 2012||More than 30 thousand people visited|
Broad research areas
- Survey & Documentation of medicinal plants of Nilgiri’s biosphere
- Macroscopic and microscopic diagnostic features, Chromatographic & chemo-profiling studies
- Herbal formulation development and standardization
- Pharmacological studies to ascertain efficacy off herbal extracts/formulations as per their ethno pharmacological claims
- Isolation of new leads - development of marker compounds from plant sources
- Acute, sub acute and chronic toxicity studies to ascertain safety of herbal extracts/formulations
- Drug discovery from natural sources
Top 20 Scientific Publications (International and National)
|Sl. No.||Title of the paper||Authors||Journal, Vol, Ed, Page No.||Name of the Publisher||Impact Factor|
|1||Screening of Caesalpinia bonduc leaves for antipsoriatic activity||S.P.Dhanabal||Journal of Ethnopharmacology
|2||Antipsoriatic activity of extracts and fractions obtained from Memecylon malabaricum leaves.||S.P.Dhanabal||Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Feb 2012||John Wiley & Sons, Inc||1.918|
|3||Evaluation of antipsoriatic activity of Aloe vera leaf extract by mouse tail model for psoriasis||S.P.Dhanabal||Phytotherapy Research DOI: 10.1002/ptr.3589,
|John Wiley & Sons, Inc||1.878|
|4||Development of a rapid and sensitive SPE-LC-MS/MS method for simultaneous estimation of fluoxetine and olanzapine in human plasma.||S.P.Dhanabal|| Biomed. Chromatogr, 2011
|John Wiley & Sons, Inc||1.55|
|5||Development and Validation of a Rapid and Sensitive Assay for Simultaneous Quantification of Lenalidomide and Dexamethasone in Human Plasma by Liquid Chromatography Coupled to Tandem Mass-Spectrometry||S.P.Dhanabal|| Current Pharmaceutical Analysis (Benthem)
|6||Antidiabetic activity of ethanolic extract of tubers of Dioscorea alata in alloxan induced diabetic rats.||S.P.Dhanabal||Indian Journal of Pharmacology Aug 2011,43 (4), 455-459||Medknow||0.303|
|7||Efficient conversion of N-terminal of L-tyrosine DL-phenyalanine and glycine to substituted 2-thioxo-thiazolidine 4-ones: A stereospecific synthesis.||M.J. Nanjan||Synthetic communications:
An international journal for rapid communication of synthetic organic chemistry-2011 DOI:
|Taylor & Francis||1.01|
|8||Synthesis and characterization of 3-hydroxy-4,5 dihydro [1,2,3] oxadiazole [3,4,a] quinoline 10-ium and its flash derivative.||M.J.Nanjan|| International Journal of Chem Tech Research July-Sep 2011-
3 (3), 1125-1128
|Sphinx Knowledge House||0.8|
|9||Health outcome measures for diabetes mellitus : A review||M.J.Nanjan||Applied Research in Quality of Life,2012
|10||Sydnones: A brief review.
|M.J.Nanjan||Mini Reviews In Medicinal Chemistry,2012||Bentham Science||2.622|
|11||Development of sustained release antipsychotic tablets using a novel polysaccharide isolated from Delonix regia seeds and its pharmacokinetic studies.( In press)||M.J.Nanjan||Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal,2012||Elsevier||0.113|
|12||Effect of Oral Supplementation of Vitamin C on Glycemic Control and Lipid Profile in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. (In press)||M.J.Nanjan||International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences,2012||0.7|
|13||Synthesis and biological evaluation of some substituted 4-piperidones
|M.J.Nanjan||International Journal of ChemTech Research,2012||Sphinx Knowledge House|
|14||Synthetic strategies for the construction of delta carbolines; A chemical ladder in search of novel drugs .
|M.J. Nanjan||Current Organic Synthesis, 2012||Bentham Science||3.952|
|15||Hepatoprotective activity of hydroalcoholic extract of Santolina chamaecyparissus Linn.( In Press)||S.P.Dhanabal||Pharmacognosy Communications 2 (2), Apr-June, 67-70,2012||Phcog Commn.||0.89|
|16||Antipsoriatic activity of ethanolic extract of Nigella sativa seeds( In Press)||S.P.Dhanabal||Pharmacognosy Magazine, 2012||Phcog Commn.||0.523|
- “Thiazolidine-2,4 Diones and Processes Thereof” (648/CHE/2006, 10.04.2006) - Awarded to TIFAC CORE.
- “Novel glitazones incorporated with tyrosine synthesis and antidiabetic activity” - Gazetted and being examined.
- “Process for isolation of bergenin from Caesalpinia dignya Rottler” - Gazetted and being examined.
Research Papers Presented
|Sl. No.||Title of presentation||Presenting Author||Name of the Seminar/Conferences/Workshops||Organised by and date (s)|
|1||“Hepatoprotective activity of Santolina chamaecyparissus Linn aginst D-Galactosamine induced liver injury in rats||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||First International convention and 15th Annual conference of Society of Pharmacognosy||KLE University, Belgaum.on
18-20th Feb 2011,
|2||In-vitro antioxidant studies on ethanolic extract of rhizomes of Kyllinga nemoralis||Ms.Mythili, Research scholar||-do-||-do-|
|3||Antiinflammatory and antioxidant activity of Wrightia tinctoria leaves|| Mr.Niranjan S.Tiwari
|4||Investigation of Cassia tora seeds for anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities”||Ms.Aswathy
|5||Investigation of Bauhinia varigata roots for antioxidant and antidiabetic activity.||Mr.Niranjan,
|63rd Indian Pharmaceutical Congress, Bangalore||, (16-18th Dec 2011|
|6||Antidiabetic activity of Bauhinia variegate Linn root extract in alloxan induced diabetic rats).||Ms.V.Maithili and S.P.Dhanabal||Indo-US symposium on “Frontiers in Medicinal chemistry and Drug discovery,||JSS Univ, Mysore (21-23, April 2011).|
|7||Plant based medicines for antiasthmatic and anti-COPD activities : A review||Aswathy C.S., Dhanabal S.P||-do-||-do-|
|8||Anticancer activity of Caesapinia digyna root||Mr.Omji Porwal||-do-||-do-|
|9||Anticancer activity of Moringa oleifera L||Mrs.Mahalakshmi Sundarapandian||-do-||-do-|
|10||Computer assisted structure elucidation of marine sphingolipids(Chemoinformatics in natural products).||Ms.Rubha saxena||-do-||-do-|
|11||Synthesis,characterization and evaluation of some polymetric pro- drugs.||Ms.Roshini Chandrasekhar||-do-||-do-|
|12||Formulation and evaluation of Buccoadhesive tablets of sumatriptan succinate,using a natural polysaccharide,isolated from Prunus amydalus||Mr.D.Manikandan||-do-||-do-|
|13||Development, standardization and evaluation of a herbal capsule formulation for antipsoriatic activity||Ms.L.Priyanka and S.P.Dhanabal||2nd International conference on drug delivery||PSG college of Pharmacy, Coimbatore (21-22, Jan 2011|
Research projects from various funding agencies
|Sl. No.||Project Title||Principal Investigator||Funding Agency||Amount|
|1||Phytochemical & Pharmacological evaluation of some indigenous plants for psoriasis control.||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal|| AICTE (RPS),
|2||Development of novel antinumour agents from Spirulina platensis : A semisynthetic approach.||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal|| DST (SERC),
|Rs. 10.87 Lakhs|
|Drug development (drug process) of Swertia purpurescens (Pan Kha) of Myanmar Origin as a potential antimalarial drug||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||WHO fellowship
Dr.Khin Phyu Phyu &
Ms.Ne Yi Hla, Upper Myanmar
|“National workshop on potentials of medicinal plants of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve (Western Ghats) on the theme “An Ethnomedical approach to herbal drug development”||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal|| ICMR
|3||Herbal medicines : Emerging challenges and opportunities (7.0 lakhs)||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||AICTE (SDP)||Rs.5.00 Lakhs|
|4||A thermally responsive elastin like polypeptide-drug conjugate for targeted delivery of anticancer drugs. Project sanctioned for Rs.22.00 Lakhs.||DST, (WOS-A, Ms. Rubha Saxena, (PI), Dr.M.J.Nanjan (Scientist mentor).||DST, (WOS-A,)||Rs.22.00 Lakhs.|
|Sl. No.||Project Title||Principal Investigator||Funding Agency||Amount|
|1||Phytochemical & Pharmacological evaluation of some indigenous plants for psoriasis control||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||AICTE (RPS), New Delhi||Rs.18.00 Lakhs|
|2||Development of novel antinumour agents from Spirulina platensis : A semisynthetic approach||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||DST (SERC), New Delhi||Rs. 10.87 Lakhs|
|3||A thermally responsive elastin like polypeptide-drug conjugate for targeted delivery of anticancer drugs. Project sanctioned for Rs.22.00 Lakhs.||DST, (WOS-A, Ms. Rubha Saxena, (PI), Dr.M.J.Nanjan (Scientist mentor).||DST, (WOS-A,)||Rs.22.00 Lakhs.|
Students fellowships Received
|Sl. No.||Project Title||Name of the scholar||Agency||Fellowships|
|1||Evaluation of Reservatol as dietary supplement in type 2 diabetes mellitus||Mr.Jayesh Bhat (PI), Dr.M.J.Nanjan (Scientist mentor),||ICMR||SRF
Rs.18,000/- per month
|2||Site specific / tumor targeted delivery of Docetaxel using polymeric nanocomposites||Mr.Manikandan||ICMR||SRF
Rs.18,000/- per month
Honors & achievements
- S.P.Dhanabal acted as a member of Scientific committee at the 63rd Indian Pharmaceutical Congress held at Bangalore during 16th to 18th Dec 2011.
- Anthony J Booker, Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (LCIRAH), Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, UCL School of Pharmacy, London, United Kingdom delivered guest lectures and interacted with the PG students for discussion on research activities during 25th Jan to 8th Feb 2012.
- Dr.Khin Phyu Phyu, Director of Medical Research, Upper Myanmar and WHO fellowship receipient carried out research work under the supervision of Dr.S.P.Dhanabal on the topic “Drug development of Swertia purpurescens (Pan Kha) of Myanmar Origin as a potential antimalarial drug” from 21st March to 29th April 2011.
- Dr.M.J.Nanjan has been made a member of the Editorial board of the Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine; Has been invited to be reviewer for scientific papers for the following journals: a).Toxicological and environmental chemistry b).Natural products research.
- Ms.Priyadharshini, Ms.Udaya and Ms.Vishali, I M.Pharmacy underwent training on preparation of tribal medicines at the Earth trust, Kolikkarai on 29th March, 2012. Also underwent training on preparation of ayurvedic medicines at the JSS Ayurvedic medical college, Mysore from 16th to 21st April 2012
- Dr.Sreedevi, Siddha Physician delivered invited lectures on various aspects of Siddha medicines and demonstrated preparation of various Siddha medicines from 2nd to 3rd April 2012.
- Dr.Roshan Pinto, professor, Father Mullers Homoeopathic Medical College, Mangalore delivered invited lectures on various aspects of Homoeopathic medicines and demonstrated preparation of various Homoeopathic medicines from 27-28th April 2012.
- The following Eminent scientists visited the department :
Dr.Hilderbert Wagner, Germany; Dr.Ramu Govindaswamy, Rutgers University, USA; Dr.Hariprasad, Director, Supergen Laboratories, USA; Dr.Jagannatha Rao, INDICASAT, Panama, Central America; Dr.Jane Hanrahan, Univ. of Sydney, Australia; Dr.Basil Roufagalis, Univ. of Sydney, Australia ; Dr.S.Sotheeswaran, Univ of Chemistry Ceylon, Sri Lanka; Dr. Sunitha & Dr.S. Patnala, Rhodes Univ., South Africa; Dr.Adrian Slater, De Montfort University, UK; Dr.Nirmal Robinson, NRCIBS, Canada; Dr.Suresh Mohankumar, CCAFRHM, Canada; Dr.Lin Huang Huang, National Yang-Ming Univ., Taiwan; Dr.Chung Hua Hsu, Chairman, TCM Assn, Taiwan; Dr.Godfrey Chi-fung Chan, Univ. of Hong Kong, China; Dr. Julie Hawkins, University of Reading, UK; Dr.Roshan Briton, INDICASAT, Panama, Central America; Dr.Antony Booker, Univ. of Londoa, UK; Dr.Rita Banerjee, Scientist-DST, New Delhi; Dr.K.Surenranath, USP, Hyderabad; Dr.Subbaswami, Chairman, resonance labs, Bangalore; Dr.Ramesh Suriyanarayanan, Director, Himalaya dugs, Bangalore.
- Organised Medicinal plants exhibition at the Govt. botanical garden, Ooty during flower show (18-20th May 2012) to create an awareness on utilization of medicinal plants to the public by exhibiting more than 50 species of rare collection. More than 25000 people visited and got useful information.
- Mr.Muruganantham, Ms.V.Maithili and Mr.Vijay Hiremath awarded Ph.D during 2011-12 under the guidance of Dr.S.P.Dhanabal and Dr.M.J.Nanjan.
9. Rendered consultancy services to the following industries:
Tablets India ltd, Chennai; Apex lab, Chennai; Sami labs, Bangalore; Arya vaidya sala, Kottakkal, Kerala; Spice board, Coimbatore; Ethix Pharma, Mumbai; Cholayil Pvt ltd, Chennai; Aptus Biosciences, Secunderabad; Natural Remedies, Banagalore; TTK Health Care Ltd., Chennai; Vedic Life Sciences, Mumbai; Orchid Health Care, Aurangabad; Rosea Ayurvedic Laboratories, Kottayam; US Pharmacopoeia, Hyderabad.
Guest Lectures delivered
|Sl. No.||Title of presentation||Faculty||Name of the Seminar/Conferences/Workshops||Organised by and date (s)|
|1||Role of biomarkers in herbal drug analysis||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||National Seminar||CPE, Crescent college of Pharm. Sciences, Kannur,Kerala (3rd Nov 2011)|
|2||The role of markers in herbal drug standardization.||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||.
Field workshop on medicinal plants of Western ghats
|Nature camp, Kulgi, Dandeli, Karnataka, 13-15th Oct 2011|
|3||Applications of HPTLC in herbal drugs”||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||Staff Development Programme||Adhiparasakthi college of Pharmacy, Chennai (5th May 2011|
|4||Herb-Drug interactions||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||National seminar||SET’S college of Pharmacy, Dharwad, Karnataka, 3-4th June 2011|
|5||Herb-Drug interactions – A status update||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||National seminar||JKK Natarajah college of Pharmacy, Komarapalayam, 15-16th June 2011.|
|6||HPTLC applications in herbal drug analysis||Dr.S.P.Dhanabal||National seminar||St. James College of Pharm. Sciences, Thrissur, Kerala (Jan, 2011|
|7||Novel approach of modern analytical techniques in standardization and bioestimation of herbal drugs||Dr.M.J.Nanjan||National seminar||Sri Ramakrishna Institute of paramedical sciences, Coimbatore (23rd Nov 2011)|
|8||The impact of pharmaceuticals on the environment||Dr.M.J.Nanjan||International symposium on environmental risk assessment 2011||Bharathiar university, Coimbatore, 17-19th Oct 2011|
|9||“Natural products in drug discovery||Dr.M.J.Nanjan||Indo-US symposium on Frontiers in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery”||(21-23rd April 2011).|
|10||“Natural products as leads for drug delivery”||Dr.M.J.Nanjan||AICTE-SDP||Adhichinchunagiri college of Pharmacy, BG Nagar, Mandya, 25th – 7th May 2011|
|11||Challenges and new techniques involved in drug discovery||Praveen T.K||AICTE-SDP||Adhichinchunagiri college of Pharmacy, BG Nagar, Mandya, Karnataka 25th – 7th May 2011.|
Invited Lectures Organised
|Sl. No.||Name and address of the Guest speaker||Title of presentation||Date|
|1||Dr.Sreedevi M.D (Siddha)
|Historical perspectives of Siddha
Contribution of Siddhars
Five elemental theory
Gunapaadam (Siddha Pharmacology) Materia Medica
Raw drugs based on Metals & Minerals, plants and animals
Merits and demerits
Practical demonstration on : Chooranam, Parpam, Chendooram and Thylam
|2nd to 3rd April 2012|
|2||Dr.Roshan Pinto M.D (Homoeopathy)
Father Muller Homoeopathic medical college, Mangalore
|Historical development of Homoeopathy
Principles and preparation of homoeopathic medicines
Merits and demerits
Regulatory requirements for homoeopathic medicines
Practical demonstration on preparation of important homoeopathic medicines
|27-28th April 2012|
|3||Anthony J Booker, Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (LCIRAH), Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, UCL School of Pharmacy, London, United Kingdom.||Traditional Herbal Medicinal Product Directive (THMPD) and what the implications are for producers of herbal medicinal products? Metabolomic profiling of “Saw palmetto” products using proton-NMR spectroscopy and multivariate analysis.||26th and 28th Jan 2012|
|4||Dr.T.Satyanarayana, Former Principal,
College of Pharm. Sciences, Andhra University, Vishakapatnam
|Isolation and characterization of Phytoconstituents of therapeutic importance||4th April 2012|
|5||Edwise Consultants, RS Puram, Coimbatore||Overseas Education Opportunities||4th Nov 2011|
Herbal research division
|Developing a patentable herbal product for Swine Flu||31st Oct 2011|
|7||Dr. Nirmal Robinson, M. Pharm., Ph.D
National Research Council - Institute for Biological Sciences
1200 Montreal Road, Building No: M54
Ottawa, ON, Canada
|“Phagosome Maturation and Cell Death: Key innate Immune Responses Exploited by Intracellular Pathogens”||19th July 2011|
Industrial visit of staff / students
- Dr.S.P.Dhanabal visited US Pharmacopoeia, Hyderabad; Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission, Gurgaon; SKM Ayurveda and Siddha ltd., Erode; IMPCOPS, Chennai : Par formulations, Chennai; Spices Board, Coimbatore;
- PG students and Research scholars visited to practical training on preparation of various tribal medicines at the Earth Trust, Near Nilgiri Adhivasi Welfare Association (NAWA) Hospital, Kolikarai, Mamaram, Kotagiri on Thursday, 29th March 2012.
- PG students visited and underwent practical training on preparation of various ayurvedic medicines at the JSS Ayurvedic Medical college, Mysore from 16th to 21st April 2012.
The students passed out during the academic year 2010-11 and 2011-12 have been placed well in herbal based industries and academic institutions.
Major Instruments/Equipments available
HPTLC with Photodocumentation; UV Spectophotometer; Freeze dryer; Cyclograph (centrifugal chromatography); Gas chromatography (GC); Autoanalyzer ; Pilot scale extraction unit; Pilot scale spray drying unit; High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) etc.,
Training on preparation of tribal medicines at the Earth Trust, Kotagiri
|PG students and research scholars with Earth trust team|
“National Workshop on Potentials of Medicinal Plants of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve” (Western Ghats),
Theme: An ethnomedical approach to herbal drug development” (8 - 10th Dec, 2011)
“International Seminar on Herbal Drug Research : Present and Future Prospects”
(Dec 4–5, 2009).
Medicinal Plants Exhibition organised at the Govt. Botanical Garden, Ooty during flower show
(18-20th May 2012)