- Professor & Head, Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India.(Sept 1997- till date
Other Positions Held
- Research Assistant, Pasteur Institute of S.India, Coonoor, Tamil Nadu, India.(Jan 1964 - Oct 1968)
- Assistant Research Officer, National Institute of Communicable Diseases, Delhi India.(Nov1968 - Dec 1971)
- Lecturer, Dept of Respiratory Virology, V.P.Chest Institute, University of Delhi, Delhi, India.( Jan 1972 - 1985)
- Senior Research Fellow (ICMR), Dept of Microbiology, Medical College, Calicut, Kerala, India (Nov 1979 - Feb 1983) - (on study leave))
- Senior Scientific Officer, Dept of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt of India, Lodi Road, New Delhi (1988-1989 - on deputation)
- Reader, Dept of Respiratory Virology, V.P.Chest Institute, University of Delhi, Delhi (1986 - 1993)
- General Manager (Mfg.), Bharat Immunologicals and Biologicals Corporation (BIBCOL),a Govt of India Undertaking under the Dept of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, New Delhi. ( May 1993 - July 1997)
- Professor, Dept of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, JSS CP, Ooty, Tamil Nadu, India.(Sept 1997 - till date)
- Animal Cell Culture; Virology, Vaccinology,Anti viral studies,; Anti-cancer studies and other in vitro studies using animal cell cultures.
44 nos. (National and International)
- Balasubramanian A, Pandit V, Ramadevi N, Varghese S, Bheema Rao US and Vijayan P. Isolations from suspected enteric infections, Scientific report, Pasteur Inst. 1964.
- Balasubramanian A, Ramadevi N, Varghese S, Bheema Rao US, Vijayan P. Poliomyelitis epidemiology, Laboratory studies, Scientific report, Pasteur Inst. 1965.
- BalaSubramanian A and Vijayan P. Isolation of SV-40 virus from the normal monkeys. Scientific report, Pasteur Inst, 1966.
- Balasubramanian A, Pandit V, Harshavarthan GVJA, Ramadevi N.Francis M,GideonR, Vijayan P, Bheema Rao US, Cherian, Vasantha KV, and Bellie S. Primary cultures of Monkey kidney cultures, Scientific report, Pasteur Inst.1967.
- Balasubramanian A, Ramadevi N, Vijayan P. Maintenance of BS-C-1 cell culture. Scientific report, Pasteur Inst.1967.
- Balasubramanian A, Pandit V, Nanjundan KK, Ramadevi N, Gideon R, Harshvarthan GVJA, Vijayan P, Cherian S, Ramachandran MP and Sadrach SJ. Scientific report, Pasteur Inst.1968.
- Balasubramanian A, Vijayan P, Ramadevei N, And Ramakrishnan MS. Prevalence of SV-40 virus in monkeys, Scientific report, Pasteur Inst. 1968.
- Sehgal CL, Murthy DK, Vijayan P, Suri NK and Raghavan NGS. Studies on different strains of vaccine virus with particular reference to their quality regarding immunogenicity and thermo stability. Indian Journal of Medical Research.61;361-370,1973.
- Choudhury DS, Nossik NN, Bindu, Vijayan P and Raghavan NGS. Poliomyelitis vaccination in infants: pre immunization status and sero-conversion Bull W.H.O., 48; 195-197, 1973.
- Pattanayak S, Sehgal CL, Choudhury S and Vijayan P. Re-vaccination studies in children with graded potency of vaccines. Indian Journal Of Medical Research 65; 756-759, 1977.
- Prasad AK, Hanum KA and Vijayan P. Immunogenic response in hamsters and guinea pigs induced by inactivated influenza A virus. Aspects of Allergy and Applied Immunology, 18; 105-110, 1985.
- Prasad AK, Raj P, Vijayan P, Anita, Kumar R, and Bhan MK. Propagation of similar Rota virus SA-11 in MA- 104 cell line. Indian Journal of Virology (1991) volume 7 NO.1.
- Raghu M, Prasad AK, Vijayan P and Jaggi OP. Prevalence of viral infections in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive lung disease. Indian Journal of Virology (1991) Vol.7 No.
- Prasad AK, Hannum KA and Vijayan P. antibodies to influenza virus in Delhi population. A two year survey study- 1982-1984. Aspects of Allergy and Applied Immunology, 18; 111-116, 1985.
- Vijayan P, Mukundan P, Shukoor A, Paniker CKJ and John TJ. Epidemic poliomyelitis. Indian Pediatrics, 22; 569-573, 1985.
- Vijayan P, Paniker CKJ and Prasad AK. Serum neutralizing antibodies against polio virus in infants and their mothers in Kerala. Aspects of Allergy and Applied Immunology, 18,91-95, 1985.
- Prasad AK, Vijayan P and Mathur RP, Isolation of influenza virus from water. Indian Journal of Virology. 3; 319, 1985.
- Prasad AK, Raj P, Vijayan P, Anita, Kumar R, and Bhan MK. Propagation of Simian rotavirus SA-11 in MA- 104 cell line. Indian Journal of Virology.3: 26-28, 1987.
- Vijayan, P, Vinod Kumar S, Dhanaraj S.A., Shrishailappa Badami and Suresh, B., In vitro cytotoxicity and antitumor properties of the total alkaloid fraction of unripe fruits of Solanum pseudo capsicum, Pharmaceutical Biology, 40 (6), 456-460, 2002.
- Vijayan P, Vinod Kumar S, Dhanaraj S.A., Mukherjee P.K. and Suresh B., In vitro Cytotoxicity and Anti-tumour Properties of Hypericum mysorense and Hypericum patulum, Phytotherapy Research, 17, 952-956, 2003.
- P.Vijayan, H C Prashanth, Preethi Vijayaraj, S A Dhanaraj, Shrishailappa Badami and B Suresh. Hepatoprotective effect of the total alkaloid fraction of Solanum pseudocapsicum leaves. Pharmaceutical Biology, 41(6), 443-448, 2003.
- P. Vijayan., Ashok Godavarthi., Raghu Chandrashekhar., Shrishailappa Badami., S. A. Dhanaraj and B. Suresh. In-vitro cytotoxic evaluation of some essential oils. International Journal of Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine 3(4), 187-190, 2003.
- P. Vijayan, S.Vinod Kumar, Shrishailappa Badami., Mukherjee, P.K, Dhanaraj.S.A, and Suresh B. Selective in vitro cytotoxicity of Hypericum hookerianum towards cancer cell lines. International Journal of Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, 3(3), 141-146, 2003.
- Shrishailappa Badami., P. Vijayan., Noble Mathew, Raghu Chandrashekhar., Ashok Godavarthi., S. A. Dhanaraj and B. Suresh. In-vitro cytotoxic properties of Grewia tiliaefolia bark and Lupeol. Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 35, 250-251, 2003.
- P.Vijayan, Preethi Vijayaraj, H. C. Prashanth, Raghu Chandrashekhar., Ashok Godavarthi., Shrishailappa Badami., S. A. Dhanaraj and B. Suresh. Cytotoxic activity of total alkaloids isolated from different parts of Solanum pseudocapsicum. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 27(4), 528-530, 2004.
- P.Vijayan, H C Prashanth, Preethi Vijayaraj, S A Dhanaraj, Shrishailappa Badami, and B Suresh, Hepatoprotective effect of the total alkaloid fraction of Solanum pseudocapsicum leaves. Pharmaceutical Biology, 41(6), 443-448, 2003.
- C. Raghu, G. Ashok, S.A. Dhanaraj, B. Suresh and P. Vijayan, In vitro cytotoxic activity of Lantana camara Linn, Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 36(2), 93-95, 2004.
- G. Ashok, C. Raghu, S.A. Dhanaraj, B. Suresh and P. Vijayan, Free radical scavenging activity of selected essential oils. Indian Drugs, 41(4), 244-245, 2004.
- P. Vijayan, C. Raghu., G. Ashok., S. A. Dhanaraj and B. Suresh. Antiviral activity of Medicinal plants of Nilgiris, Indian Journal of Medical Research, 120, 24-29, 2004.
- Shrishailappa Badami, Satish G. Dhonde, Manohar Reddy S.A., Vijayan P. and Suresh B. Anticancer Properties of Total Alkaloid fraction of Solanum pseudocapsicum unripe fruits. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, 4 (1), 49-52, 2004.
- Sharma P.K, Vijayan P, Dhanaraj S.A,and Suresh B. Cytotoxic studies on some species of Hypericum. Indian Drugs 43 (4) April 2006, p-307-314.
- P. Vijayan, H.C.Prashanth, Preethi Vijayaraj, H.Raghu Chandrasekhar, Ashok Godavarthi., S.A.Dhanraj. Hepatoprotective activity of Berberis tinctoria. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine 6(1),45-52,2006.
- Sharma.P.K, Vijayan.P, Dhanraj.S.A, and Suresh.B. Cytotoxic studies on some species of Hypericum, Indian Drugs 43 (4) April 2006.307-314.
- A.R.Srividya, P.HariBalaji, H. Raghu and P.Vijayan. In vitro Screening of Ziziphus jujube for their Antioxidant and Anti- Adipogenic activity. "The Pharmacist"Vol.2 (2), 7-10, 2007.
- Santhosh kumar H dougre, shrishailappa Badami, Ashoak godarthi, Mahendran S, Vijayan, P and Suresh B. Cytotoxic and antioxidant properties of four plants belonging to the genus Solanum, oriental pharmacy and experimental medicine, 8 (1), 86-92,2007.
- Sharma P.K, Vijayan P, Dhanraj S.A and B. Suresh. Antiviral studies on some species of Hypericum. Indian Drugs 44 (11) November 2007, P-876-881.
- Arumugam M, Vijayan P, Raghu H, Ashoak G. Dhanraj SA, Kumarappan CT. Antiadipogenic activity of Capsicum annum ( Solanaceae) in 3T3L1. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine 5(1),2008, Article 28.
- P. Vasnath raj, H. Raghu, P. Vijayan, SA. Dhanraj, C. Mallikrrjuna Rao, P. Venkat rao and Nilesh K. In vitro and in vivo Hepatoprotective effect of Vitax nigunda leaves. Pharmacology on line,39, 281- 295 (2008)
- A.R. Srividya, B. Abel shalom, H. Raghu and P. Vijayan. In vitro cytotoxicity, antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Physalis peruviania L, " The Pharmacist" volume -3 number-1, 2008 p-1-4.
- A.R. Srividya, P.H. Balaji, H. Raghu and P. Vijayan. Antioxidant and anti- adipogenic activity of Taraxacum officinale, in vitro screening methods,"\The Pharmacist" Vol-3, No.1, 2008, p- 41-44.
- Santhosh Kumar H,Dongra, Shrishailappa Badami, Ashoak Godavarthi, Mahendran.S, Vijayan.P. Cytotoxic and antioxidant properties of four plants belonging to the genus Solanum. Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine 2008 (1), 86-92.
- Salemulla khan, Pradeep.H.A, Asoak kumar.B.P, Anil Kumar.M, Manimaran.S, Raghu Chandrasekhar.H, and Vijayan.P. Hepatoprotective effect of Anogerissus latifolia bark extract on paracetamol induced toxicity. Pharmacology on line, volume 2, 303-327, 2008.
- Raghu Chandrasekhar, H. Venkatesh, P, Arumugam, M.S and Vijayan,P. Estimation of total phenols with special emphasis to antioxidant potential of Hypericum species. Pharmacology on line. Vol, 1, 680-687, 2009.
- Raghu Chandrasekhar, Venkatesh.P, Sreenivasan.R, and Vijayan.P. Antioxidant activity of Hypericum hookerianum Wright and Arn. Natural Products Research, September, 2009 ( Accepted for Publication)
- Involved in organizing the Oral Polio Vaccine Unit at the Pasteur Institute, Coonoor and in the successful production, quality control and release of the first indigenously produced Oral Polio Vaccine in India in 1968.
- Assisted in setting up the Enterovirus laboratory at the National Institute of Communicable Diseases, Delhi.
- Involved in organising and setting up the Dept of Respiratory Virology at Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi and carried out Virological, Serological and Epidemiological Studies of influenza virus and the morbidity survey of respiratory diseases (1973-1993)
- Carried out studies on the viral etiology of poliomyelitis at Calicut , Kerala (1980-1982)
- Carried out extensive work on the project related to R&D and manufacturing of Oral Polio Vaccine Unit in Technical Collaboration with USSR while on deputation to the Dept of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt of India, ultimately leading in establishing Bharat Immunologicals and Biological Corporation Ltd., (BIBCOL) at Bulandshahr,(U.P).
- As Gen. Manager (Mfg.), BIBCOL, supervised validation and commissioning of equipments, filtration system, laminar air flow cabinets, -85oC deep freezers, CO2 incubators, automatic vial washing, sterilizing and filling machine (Bausch &Strobel), hot air ovens, autoclaves, inspection and labeling machines, pressure vessels, media reactors, air showers; setting up of manufacturing and quality control facilities; preparation of protocols; production and quality control of trial batch of trivalent oral polio vaccine & successful commercial production of oral polio vaccine and supply of the same to the E.P.I programme of Govt of India in 1995.
- Established a full fledged animal Tissue Culture laboratory and in vitro study facilities
Research Projects Coordinated/ Completed
- Influenza virus Monitoring Centre, Dept of Microbiology, Medical College Calicut, Kerala (Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi)
- Morbidity Pattern of Acute Respiratory Diseases (ARD)in children under 5 years in Delhi (Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi)
- Investigation on the anti-viral properties of Medicinal Plant Extracts(DBT funded Project, at JSSCP)
- Screening and Evaluation of anticancer potentials from herbal resources of Nilgiris (DBT funded Project at JSSCP)
- Enzymatic modification of Cicer arietinum as a nutritious food (DBT funded Project at JSSCP)
- Investigations on the Anti- viral activity of Medicinal plant Extracts (AICTE funded Project at JSSCP)
Number of Thesis Supervised :
- B.Pharmacy 4
- M.Pharmacy 36
- MSc 2
- M.Phil 4
- Ph.D. 8 (Completed = 5 ; Submitted = 2)