- Ph. D (1999) The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai
Broad field of research: Polymeric Drug Delivery
(Synthesis and evaluation of some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory polymeric pro-drugs for controlled and site-specific delivery)
- M. Sc (1990) Dept. of Medical Biochemistry ( University of Madras)
(Medical Biochemistry) Chennai
- July 1990 to 2000, Lecturer, J.S.S. College of Pharmacy, Ooty
- From Jan 2001 to Dec 2007, Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, J.S.S. College of Pharmacy
- From Dec 2007, Professor, in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, J.S.S. College of Pharmacy
Teaching Biochemistry and Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry for B.Pharm and guiding M.Pharm and Ph.D Research Scholars.
Fields of major scientific interest
- Polymeric drug delivery systems
- Herbal Products Research
Principal Investigator of the following sponsered Research Project,
- Dept. of Science and Technology (DST) sponsored international Indo-Argentine bilateral project entitled “Targeting Anticancer Macromolecular Pro-drugs” between JSS. College of Pharmacy and Dept of Pharmacy, Faculty of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, National university of Rosario, Argentina.
- UGC sponsored Major Research Project entitled “Design, synthesis and evaluation of some novel dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitors as antidiabetic agents”.
- AICTE sponsored National Doctoral Fellowship (NDF) entitled “Design, synthesis, evaluation and 3D-QSAR studies of some novel δ-carboline/carbazole derivatives as antineoplastic agents”.
- ICMR sponsored on the research project entitled “Design, synthesis and antihyperglycemic evaluation of some novel peroxitsome proliferation activated receptor (PPAR-γ ) agonist”.
- Part of the team of the Indo-German Collaborative project entitled “Targeting Anticancer Macromolecular Pro-drugs to specific cells” a project funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, visited the University of Regensburg, Germany as guest scientist and was engaged in the synthesis of a macromolecular pro-drug and its in vitro cytotoxic studies.
- Co-Principal Investigator of AICTE sponsored Research Promotion Scheme for the project entitled “ Development and validation of chiral separation of some enantiomeric drugs by OPLC, HPLC and LC-MS methods”
- Guided nine Ph.D., Research scholars and 23 M. Pharm., dissertations and presently guiding six Ph.D., Scholars and one M. Pharm. students.
A patent has been filed for the work entitled “Process for isolation of bergenin from Caesalpinia digyna rattler”.
- Recipient of the Young Scientist Fellowship by the Tamilnadu Council for Science and Technology, Govt. of Tamil Nadu for the year 1999-2000.
- Two of the M. Pharm., dissertations guided were awarded The Tamilnadu Pharmaceutical Welfare Trust Award for the year 2003-2004 and 2006-07.
- Faculty member for training Pharmacy teachers from all over India under Quality Improvement (QIP) and staff Development Programmes (SDP), funded by the AICTE, New Delhi.
- Nominated by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India as its nominee in the Industrial Biosafety Committee (IBSC)
- A. Gupta, B. Kamble, M. J. Nanjan, M. J. N. Chandrasekar. Synthetic strategies for the construction of δ-Carbolines: A chemical ladder in search of novel drugs. Cur. Org. Synth. 2012, 93(3), 377-396.
- S.K. Saxena, A. Gupta, K. Bhagyashree, R. Saxena, N. Arora, A.K. Banerjee, A.K. Tripathi, M. J. N. Chandrasekar, N. Gandhi and M.P.N. Nair . Targeting Strategies for Human Immunodeficiency Virus: A Combinatorial Approach. Mini-Reviews in Med. Chem., 2012, 12(3), 236-54.
- In vitro antioxidant activity of Solanum Jasminoids paxt extracts. MJN Chandrassekar, R Srinivasan, O. Porwal, MJ Nanjan. J. Nat. Remedies, 2012, 12(2), 114-117.
- Isolation of new glycosides from Pteridophyte plant. M.J.N. Chandrassekar, L.Narasimaiah, S. Alexander. Int. J. Pharm. Pharm. Sci., 2012, 4(4), 615-617.
- Isolation and evaluation of a polysaccharide from Prunus amygdalus as a carrier for transbuccosal delivery of Losartan potassium. M. J. N.Chandrasekar, S. Mahesh Kumar, D. Manikandan and M. J. Nanjan. Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 2011, 48(5), 773-778.
- Poly(HEMA-Zidovudine) conjugate: A macromolecular pro-drug for improvement in the biopharmaceutical properties of the drug. Neeraj Agrawal, M. J. N. Chandrasekar, U. V. S. Sara, A. Rohani. Drug Delivery, 2011, 18(4) 272-280.
- Synthesis, Chemical Hydrolysis and Bioavailability Evaluation of Poly(HEMA)-Ibuprofen Conjugate as Macromolecular Prodrug.N Agrawal, M. J. N Chandrasekar, U.V.S. Sara and Rohini A. Int. J. Drug Deliv. Tech. 2010, 2(1), 12-17.
- Synthesis, Characterization, and In Vitro Drug Release Study of Methacrylate Diclofenac Conjugate as Macromolecular Prodrug.Neeraj Agrawal, M. J. N. Chandrasekar, U. V. S. Sara, A. Rohani. PDA J. Pharm. Sci. Tech, 2010, 64, 348-355.
- Phyllanthus maderaspatensis, a dietary supplement for the amelioration of adriamycin-induced toxicity and oxidative stress in mice. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, P. Bommu, M. J. Nanjan, S. M. Nataraj and S. Bhojraj. J. Natural Med. 2008, 62 (2), 149-154.
- In vitro and in vivo studies on HPMC-K100M matrices containing naproxen sodium M. J. N. Chandrasekar, S. Mahesh Kumar, R. Gopinath, R. Srinivasan, M. J. Nanjan and B. Suresh. Drug Delivery 2007, 14, 163-169.
- Antioxidant Activity of Caesalpinia digyna Root. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, R.Srinivasan, M. J. Nanjan, B. Suresh. J. Ethnopharm., 2007, 113, 284-291.
- Free radical scavenging activity of Ipomoea obscura (L.) Ker-Gawl. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, R.Srinivasan, M. J. Nanjan, B.Suresh. J. Natural Remed. 2007, l 7/2, 184-198.
- Antimicrobiological studies on different essential oils of Wedelia Species. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, S. Suresh Kumar, R. Kanagasabai, T. Sivakumar and B. Suresh. Asian J. Chem. 2007, 19 (6), 4674-4678.
- Chemoprotective effect of Phyllanthes Maderaspatenis against cisplatin induced nephro and genotoxicity. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, Praveen Bommu, M.J. Nanjan and B. Suresh. Pharm. Biol. Vol. 44/2, 2006, 100-106
- Effect of Phyllanthus maderaapateniss, A dietary supplement on cisplatin induced clastogenicity in cultured human lymphocytes. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, Praveen Bommu, M. J. Nanjan and B. Suresh. The Toxicologist, 2006, 90(1), 2006, 406.
- Investigation of anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity of leave part of W. Chinensis in standard experimental animal model. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, S. Suresh Kumar, T. Sivakumar and B. Suresh. Iranian J. Pharm. Res. 2006, 2, 123-129.
- Pharmacognoatical and microbiological studies on different species belonging to the family of Asteracea. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, S. Suresh Kumar, T. Sivakumar, P. Perumal and B. Suresh. Int. J. Chem. Sci. 3(4) 2005, 553-562.
- Synthesis and evaluation of some nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory polymeric Pro-drug for controlled and site-specific delivery. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, M. Ravichandran, M.J. Nanjan, and B. Suresh. Journal of Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 2001, 27( 9), 959-
- Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of pendent substituted naproxen from a swellable copolymer as drug delivery systems. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, M. J. Nanjan, Rajeev Dube and B. Suresh. Macromol. New Frontiers, 1999, 2, 604.
- Synthesis and evaluation of polymeric pro-drugs containing NSAIDs. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, M. J. Nanjan, Rajeev Dube and B. Suresh. Proceedings of the Asian Conference and Exhibition of Controlled Release, 1999, 68-69.
- A RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of metformin and pioglitazone in pharmaceutical formulation. S Alexander Rhine Diwedi and M. J. N. Chandrasekar. RJPBCS 2010, 1(4) 858-866.
- Rapid and efficient synthesis of microwave assisted some bis-1, 2, 4-triazole derivatives and their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory evaluation.Rohini Diwedi, S Alexander and M. J. N. Chandrasekar. RJPBCS Volume 2 (1) 2011, 194-204.
- Pharmacognostical evaluation of Wedelia Biflora DC. M. J. N Chandrasekar, S. Suresh Kumar, R. Sampath Kumar, T. Sivakumar, S. P. Dhanapal and B. Suresh. Aryavaidyan, 2008, Vol XXI (3), 141-147.
- Synthesis, antitubercular and antimicrobial activity of some 3-aryl4-(4’-(2’’-,6”-diclorophenyl) amino| benzyl carboxamido-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazoles. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, Gurubasavaraj V. Pujar, K.V. Manohar, R.H. Udupi, M.N. Purohit Indian J. Heterocycl. Chem.. 2006, 16, 69-70.
- Herbal remedies for acne. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, S. Mahesh Kumar, M. J. Nanjan and B.Suresh. Nat.l Prod. Radiance, 2005, 4(4), 328-334.
- Determination of bergenin in Caesalpinia digyna by HPTLC. M. J. N. Chandrasekar N. Mahadevan R. Srinivasan, T. Somesh, M. J. Nanjan and B. Suresh. Nat. l Prod.: An Indian Journal, 2005, 1, (1-2), 1-6.
- Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Eclipta Alba in rats. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, S. Suresh Kumar, T. Sivakumar and B.Suresh. Ancient Science of Life 2005, Vol XXIV (3), , 7941
- A Novel pro-drug approach to the problem associated with the use of aspirin. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, B. Duraiswamy, Pokalwar Nithin, M. J. Nanjan, and B. Suresh, Indian Drugs 2001, 38 (7), 351-354.
- Coupling of Indomethacin to poly(HEMA); In vitro and bioavailability characterization. M. J. N. Chandrasekar, M.J. Nanjan and B. Suresh, Indian J. Pharm. Sci.2004, 66(1), 69, 7196.