- About JSSCP
- Courses Offered
- Pharmaceutical chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Pharmacy Practice
- Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine
- Biostatistics & Computer Science
- Departmental Profiles
- Contact us
Department of Pharmacology
EDUCATING STUDENTS FOR TOMORROWS WORLD
Pharmacology is the scientific discipline that, in the attempt to improve health and alleviate disease, studies the mechanisms by which drugs alter biological systems. Toxicology is the study of mechanisms by which drugs and chemicals in the environment produce unwanted effects. Together these disciplines encompass the molecular basis of drug action, the actions of drugs on cells, organs, and organisms, genetic variations in drug action, and drug discovery.
The Department of Pharmacology at JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty was established in the year 1988. The department offers training in pharmacology and toxicology to both undergraduate and post graduate students, who may subsequently go on to exciting research, regulatory and administrative careers in academic, industrial and healthcare provision settings.
Animal house facilities
The department has centralized animal house approved by CPCSEA (Registration no: 118/99/CPCSEA and 374/01/ab/CPCSEA) for conducting experiments on Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs, and Rabbits.
The goal is to prepare exceptional students for productive and successful careers in pharmaceutical industry, academia, research and public sectors.
The department is striving towards our vision by providing quality education that effectively integrates critical thinking, problem solving and leadership skills.
- To nurture both undergraduate and post graduate students with the aforementioned values by providing multidisciplinary programs that encourage the development of an entrepreneurial spirit with emphasis on creativity, innovation, motivation, team-working, and scientific competence.
- To motivate continuous upgrading of teaching faculty and technical staff as well as students with respect to education, professional skills, knowledge, morality, and experience, through training, courses, seminars, lectures & workshops.
- To establish close partnerships with the pharmacy community and pharmaceutical industry, through consultancies and services, that enhances the intellectual quality and economics of pharmaceutical services. This will emphasize the role of the university in serving society.
- To promote outstanding programmes of research and scholarship in pharmacology and toxicology. Put simply,research is the engine that drives the department.
- To help students to find jobs in pharmaceutical fields that complies with their interests and professional skills and to follow their career development.
- Advinus Therapeutics, Bangalore
- Accenture, Bangalore
- Dabur research Foundation, Noida
- Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Hyderabad
- Fresenius Kabi, Kolkata
- Novartis, Hyderabad
- Nicholas Piramal, Mumbai
- Orchid Health Care, Chennai
- Suguna Pharma, Coimbatore
- State of art facilities and faculty.
- Strong research environment and outstanding scientific atmosphere.
- Research opportunities at the forefront of modern pharmaceutical sciences.
- Multi-disciplinary curriculum.
- Campus placements.
- CPCSEA approved centralized animal house facility.
- Approved drugs testing laboratory (Bioassays) by the Drugs Control Department of Tamil Nadu.
- Approved laboratory for formulation development and quality assurance in Ayurveda and Siddha drugs by the Drugs Control Department of Tamil Nadu.
- ISO 9001:2000 certified laboratory to carry out pre clinical studies.
CURRENT AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST IN THE DEPARTMENT
- Analytical toxicology
- Behavioral and Neuropharmacology
- Cardiovascular Pharmacology
- Cancer biology
- Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics
- Endocrine Pharmacology and Infectious diseases
RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS /PRESENTATIONS
Papers published (past five years)
International : 22
National : 14
Papers presented (past five years)
International : 61
National : 19
Ongoing research projects
- Isolation of bioactive principles from Mucuna pruriens, Tinospora cordifolia, and their pharmacological activities in experimental Parkinsonism models sponsored by AICTE, New Delhi under Research promotion scheme (grant amount 18.5 lakhs). Chief investigator: Dr.K.Elango and Co investigator: M.N.Satish Kumar.
Research projects submitted for various funding agency (2011)
- Lead findings of acetyl cholinesterase and butyl cholinesterase inhibitors form Siddha medicinal plants, Central council research for Ayurveda and siddha, Department of AYUSH, New Delhi (Grant amount 29.99 lakhs) Chief Investigator: Dr.K.Elango.
- Protective effect of Opioids (agonists and antagonists) against cerebral ischemia: possible neurobehavioral, biochemical and cellular alterations in rat brain, SERC scheme DST, New Delhi (Grant amount 25.98 lakhs) Chief Investigator: Dr.M.N.Satish Kumar.
- Modernization of molecular Pharmacology laboratory for In-vitro Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic interaction studies, ,MODROBS scheme, AICTE, New Delhi (Grant amount 13.37 lakhs) Chief Investigator: Dr.K.Elango.
- Assessment of Molecular and Biochemical changes in Asthma by Yucca Gloriosa and Pothos Scandens in Murine models, Research promotion scheme, AICTE, New Delhi (Grant amount 19.60 lakhs) Chief Investigator: Dr.M.N.Satish Kumar.
- Evaluation of Aspirin and Nimodipine for Anti- Parkinson activity in 6 OHDA lesioned rat model, Research promotion scheme, AICTE, New Delhi (Grant amount 20 lakhs) Chief Investigator: Mr.Shanish Antony.
- Molecular Neuropharmacology strategies and methods, sponsored by Seminar grant AICTE, New Delhi (Grant amount 1 lakh) Organizing Secretary Dr.V.Subhashini.
- A naturally derived gelling agent and its uses thereof in the preparation of pharmaceutical gels. Country: India, Dr.K.Elango (Application No.1100 CHE/2006).
- A naturally derived gelling agent and its uses thereof in the preparation of pharmaceutical gels. Country: India, Dr.M.N.Satish Kumar (Application No.1099/ CHE/2006).
- Orchid Health care Ltd, Chennai- Development and evaluation of polyherbal formulation for anti-hyperlipedimic activity.
- Orchid Health care Ltd, Chennai- Sub acute repeated dose oral toxicity for polyherbal formulation for anti-hyperlipedimic activity.
- DXN herbal manufacturing Pvt.Ltd- Acute and Sub acute oral toxicity Studies of Ganocelium.
- TTK LIG Ltd, Chennai- Spermicidal activity of certain lubricants.
- Sneha Nature, Bangalore- Anti diabetic study for polyherbal formulation.
- M/s Tablets (India) Ltd., Chennai- Wound healing and Skin irritation studies for topical cream.
- Apex Labs Ltd, Chennai- Cardioprotective, hepatoprotective, anti allergy and Immunomodulation of herbal formulations.
- Apex Labs Ltd, Chennai- Wound healing activity of certain formulations.
- Apex Labs Ltd, Chennai- Skin irritation studies of certain formulations.
- Ethix Pharma, Raipur, Chhattisgarh- Anti-inflammatory studies for certain herbal formulations.
- Stereotoxic apparatus
- IR Actimeter
- Digital plethysmometer
- Power lab with ECG and EEG couplers
- Non Invasive Blood pressure
- In capacitance Analgesy meter
- Autoanalyser and Cell analyser
- Student Physiographs
- Rotary microtome
- Randell-Stellito Analgesy meter
ACHIEVEMENTS AND RECOGNITIONS
- 100% placements and 100% results.
- ISO 9001:2000 certified pre-clinical testing laboratory.
- International and national collaborations.
- Received Best research paper presentation award to Mr. Ch.Sreenath, under the guidance of Dr.M.N.Satish Kumar, Professor for the work titled "Attenuation of Docetaxel induced toxicity by Naringenin and Quarcetin in Swiss albino mice" at International conference on Pharmacology and translational Research December, 13-16, 2010, Hyderabad.
- Received Best research paper presentation award to Mr. BIswajith Pal, under the guidance of Mr.A.Shanish Antony, Lecturer for the work titled "Evaluation of antiparkinsonism activity of Nimodipine and its derivatives in 6-hydroxy dopamine lesioned rat model" at International conference on Indo US symposium on frontiers in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery on April, 21-23, 2011, at JSS University, Mysore.
- M.N.Satish Kumar has nominated as EC Member, Community Pharmacy Division, Indian Pharmaceutical Association Central Branch, Mumbai.
GUEST LECTURERS (2010-11)
Neuropathology of temporal lobe epilepsy- Dr.V.V.Radhakrishnan, SCTIMST, Trivandrum on 07.09.2010.
Drug discovery - Dr.Rajagopalan, Chennai on 12.11.2010.
Induced pluripotent stem cells- Dr.B. Veerakumar, Netherlands on 11.12.10.
CNS Neurocysticercosis, Encephalitis and Cancer: Dr. V.Vedagiri, Chennai on 13.12.2010 and 14.12.10.
Patent history and how it began in India by Dr.Bhuvana Jaiganesh, Chennai on 01.03.2011.
CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAMMES
- Quality improvement programme for Pharmacy teachers on "Recent Techniques (In-vitro and In-vivo) in experimental Pharmacology on October 12-18, 2009.
INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL ETHICS COMMITTEE (IAEC)
- IAEC meeting was conducted on 13.11.2010, 05 PhD, 50 M.Pharmacy, 03 projects were approved for animal experimentation.
|Dr. Elango K||M.Pharm., Ph.D.,||Professor and Head|
|Dr. Sathishkumar M.N||M.Pharm., Ph.D.,||Professor|
|Mr. Vadivelan R||M.Pharm.,||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Subhashini V||M.Pharm., Ph.D.,||Assistant Professor|
|Mr. Shanish Antony A||M.Pharm.,||Lecturer|
|Mr. Swamesha G||B.Sc.,||Technician|
|Mr. Kumar H.S||B.A.,||Laboratory Assistant|
|Mr. Gurumallappa||SSLC||Laboratory Assistant|
|Mr. Arun Kumar K||SSLC||Laboratory Assistant|
|Mr. Basavaraj M||HSC||Animal Caretaker|
Publications Jan-May 2012
|Sl. No||Authors||Title of the publication||Journal Name, Vol , Year||Page No||Impact factor|
|1||Saurabh Gupta,M.N.Satish Kumar, B.Durai swamy, Mahavir Chhajed, Atika Chajed||In-vitro anti oxidant and free radical Scavenging activities of Ocimum sanctum.||World journal of Pharmaceutical research, 1(1):2012.||78||94|
|2||Saurabh Gupta,M.N.Satish Kumar, B.Durai swamy, Sushanta Das,Mahavir Chhajed||Potential herbs and its phytoconstituents against fungal infection: A systematic review.||World journal of Pharmaceutical research, 1(1):2012.||01||20|
|3||Binayak Deb, Ch.Sreenath, M.N.Satish Kumar, K. Elango||Neuroprotective effect of spiradoline naloxone in focal cerebral ischemia: Promising behavioral and biochemical changes in wistar rats.||Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2(3):2012.||106||111|
|4||Brahmasrinivasrao Desu, Elango K, Satishkumar M N, Suresh B, Manimaran, S , Nanjan MJ||Toxicity study of Strobilanthes kunthlanus and Strobilathes cuspidatus.||An International journal of advances in Pharmaceutical sciences, 3(1): 2012.||1||10|
|5||Brahmasrinivasrao Desu, Elango, K, SatishKumar MN, Suresh B, Manimaran, S , Nanjan MJ||Analgesic activity of Strobilanthes kunthianus and Strobilanthes cupidatus.||International journal of research in Pharmaceutical biomedical sciences, 3(1): 2012.||435||438|