- About JSSCP
- Courses Offered
- Pharmaceutical chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Pharmacy Practice
- Phytopharmacy & Phytomedicine
- Biostatistics & Computer Science
- Departmental Profiles
- Contact us
Department of Pharmaceutics
Pharmaceutics is concerned with the strategies by which biologically active compounds are presented to the body so as to elicit an optimal response. Included are the design, preparation and testing of drug-delivery systems. There are two major areas of emphasis found in the current research in the Department of Pharmaceutics at JSS College of Pharmacy Novel Drug Delivery (Nanotechnology based SR, CR & Targeted delivery and Biopharmaceutics (drug formulation, physical/industrial pharmacy, mechanisms and modeling of drug transport, molecular and cellular pharmaceutics) & Pharmacokinetics(Rate process, ADME Kinetics).
In course work, emphasis is placed on fundamentals underlying these subject areas. The Pharmaceutics Department offers both Masters of Pharmacy and Doctor of Philosophy Degrees in a highly specialized course tract under the Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Science. The Undergraduate programme (B.Pharm) trains the students in pharmaceutical technology, Pharmaceutical dosage forms, and advances in Drug delivery system.
The Department of Pharmaceutics was established in the year 1988 for the first time to start PG Programme in Pharmaceutics in Tamil Nadu in Private sector. Quality Teaching, high standard of Research and Collaborative projects are the main areas of this department.
The Department of Pharmaceutics at JSS College of Pharmacy offers Post graduate students the opportunity to pursue a program of study that is directed toward meeting the individual career objectives in the area of Pharmaceutical Expertise. Students are provided with one of the most dynamic programs in the area of Pharmaceutical product discovery and development.
Qualified, dedicated faculty members of this department are always keen to show their talents by way of technical lectures, innovations in teaching and tutorials for making skilled, better and effective practical knowledgeable Pharmaceutical Technologists in order to build up good citizens in future.
The department of pharmaceutics is expertise in research areas such as ocular drug delivery systems, targeted drug delivery system, mucoadhesive drug delivery system and use of natural polymers as pharmaceutical excipients. The department has made of significant contribution to the research field in terms of research publication and collaborative project works.
Title of Research Programs implemented / being implemented
Development of antihyperlipedemic herbal formulation.
- Investigation of some natural polymers for pharmaceutical applications.
- Drug delivery to colon through functional coatings.
- Development of some transdermal and transmucosal delivery system.
- Development and evaluation of some ocular drug delivery system.
- Forskolin and its analogue in the treatment of glaucoma via bioadhesive macroparticles and gels
- Establishment of Pharmacokinetic Laboratory operations for herbal drugs using Sate of art technology conforming GLP regulation.
- New Technology Development.
Team work, dedication and responsibility are the ultimate strength of the department. Consultancy, Sponsored Research projects from various industries with in the country and abroad, grants from the national bodies like AICTE, CSIR, ICMR, DST, etc., are the priority of the department. Success rate in terms of student employment is very high among the private institutions in India. The Department is having MOU with national and international industries and universities. Continuing education programmes including US Fulbright scheme and AICTE sponsored QIP programmes for young teachers and students are also taking care by this department. As a result, the department achieved a centre of Pharmaceutical production, Novel dosage from designing and Government approved Drug Testing laboratory.
- ‘Process for Extraction of a Naturally Derived Mucoadhesive Carrier and Its Use Thereof in The Oral Transmucosal Delivery of Therapeutic Agents', Application No. 885/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 22.05.2006 (Under examination).
- .‘A Naturally Derived Release Modifier and Its Use Thereof in Oral Controlled Release Spheroid Drug Delivery System', Application No. 1122/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 30.06.2006 (Under examination).
- ‘A Naturally Derived Release Modifier and Its Use Thereof in Oral Controlled Release Spheroid Drug Delivery System', Application No. 1123/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 30.06.2006 (Under examination).
- ‘A Mucoadhesive Carrier Extracted From a Natural Source and It's Use Thereof in The Oral Transmucosal Delivery of Therapeutic Agents', Application No. 1530/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 25.08.2006. (Under examination)
- ‘A Release Modifying Agent Extracted from a Natural Source and Its Use Thereof in The Oral Matrix Tablets for Controlled Release of Therapeutic Agents', Application No. 1531/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 25.08.2006.(Under examination)
- .‘A Naturally Derived Gelling Agent and Its Use Thereof in The Preparation of Pharmaceutical Gels', Application No. 1099/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 28.06.2006 (Under examination).
- ‘A Naturally Derived Gelling Agent and Its Use Thereof in The Preparation of Pharmaceutical Gels', Application No. 1100/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 28.06.2006 (Under examination).
- ‘A Naturally Derived Gelling Agent and Its Use Thereof in The Preparation of Pharmaceutical Gels', Application No. 1102/CHE/2006, Date of Filing: 28.06.2006. (Under examination).
- ‘A Naturally Derived Film Forming Agent and Its Use Thereof in the Preparation of Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems', Application No. 1436/CHE/2006, Date of Filing 14.08.2006.(Under examination)
- ‘A Naturally Derived Polymer Fraction as Matrix Agent and Its Uses Thereof in the Preparation of Sustained Release Oral Matrix Dosage Forms', Application No. 1650/CHE/2006, Date of Filing 11.09.2006.(Under examination)
- Nanoemulsion composition containing atorvastatin for enhanced oral bioavailability (Patent filed)
- Solid lipid composition of olanzapine for enhanced oral bioavailability (Patent filed)
- Ms. Deepa Pathak awarded fellowship under Women Scientist Scheme-A, Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi under the guidance of Dr. K. Gowthamarajan, Professor and Head, Department of Pharmaceutics for amount Rs.12.2 Lakhs.
- Mr. Kunal Jain qualified GATE 2009.
6 Students qualified GPAT 2010.
- Mr. Sumanth D.
- Mr. Prashant Kumar Hingarh
- Mr. Rana Tarun Kumar Dipak Bhai
- Mr. Patel Hardik Anil Bhai
- Mr. Raghu Kandula
- Ms. N. Rama Seshu
Mr. N. Jawahar, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutics awarded travel grant by CSIR and DST for attending FIP Congress in Lisbon, Portugal from 28th Aug-2nd Sept, 2010.
Mr. Sumeet Sood awarded
- ‘His Holiness Jagagdguru Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Swamiji Gold Medal' for obtaining highest marks in M.Pharm degree
- ‘EDICT Pharma Gold Medal' for obtaining highest marks in Pharmaceutics branch in M.Pharm degree
|Dr. Gowthamarajan||M.Pharm., Ph.D.,||Professor / HOD|
|Mr. Senthil V||M.Pharm.,||Assistant Professor|
|Mr. Suresh Kumar R||M.Pharm.,||Assistant Professor|
|Mr. Nagasamy Venkatesh D||M.Pharm.,||Assistant Professor|
|Mr. Ganesh G.N.K||M.Pharm.,||Assistant Professor|
|Mr. Jawahar N||M.Pharm.,||Assistant Professor|